If you could pick only one book in your life that you consider to be the most impactful, what would it be? Maybe the Bible or Pilgrim’s Progress come to mind as the two most popular books of all time. Aside from these two, what is your most impactful book?
This question was recently posed to me, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. There is a book that has been the most impactful to me and is daily still impacting me.
It is not likely one you will recognize but one that I hope to expose you to in this short post today.
A Gospel Primer for Christians by Milton Vincent. Learning to See the Glories of God’s Love Purchase Here
Why is a book that is less than 100 pages so impactful?
- Every page is rooted in the Bible. In 75 pages there are over 290 references to scripture, and they are all provided as footnotes to read with the book.
- The book is broken down into four parts. Part I is 31 reasons to rehearse the gospel daily. Part II is a gospel narrative in prose form, and Part III is a gospel narrative in poetic form. Finally, Part IV is the story behind the book. All four sections are easy to read but ever so compelling to digest and contemplate.
- Don’t we love bite-size nuggets that we can eat but are weighty enough to fill us. This is the beauty of Part I. Each reason ranges from one paragraph to five paragraphs with the majority of them one to two paragraphs long. Short enough to not take too much time but weighty enough to last you the whole day. Oh so good!
- In the foreword, Mike Bullmore says it well, “I felt like I had been given a handful of precious diamonds and I could not stop looking at them.”
- Finally, Milton Vincent says in the Introduction, “God did not give us His gospel just so we could embrace it and be converted. Actually, He offers it to us every day as a gift that keeps on giving to us everything we need for life and godliness. The wise believer learns this truth early and becomes proficient in extracting available benefits from the gospel each day. We extract these benefits by being absorbed in the gospel, speaking it to ourselves when necessary, and by daring to reckon it true in all we do.”
To whet your appetite further, here are some quotes from the book.
From Part I
“The gospel is so foolish (according to my natural wisdom), so scandalous (according to my conscience), and so incredible (according to my timid heart), that it is a daily battle to believe the full scope of it as I should. There is simply no other way to compete with the forebodings of my conscience, the condemnings of my heart, and the lies of the world and the Devil than to overwhelm such things with daily rehearsings of the gospel.”
“As I habitually gaze upon the glory of the Lord revealed in the gospel, I can know that actual deposits of God’s very glory are attaching themselves to my person and transforming me from one level of glory to another.”
“I never have to do a moment’s labor to gain or maintain my justified status before God!”
“By preaching the gospel to myself each day, I nurture the bond that unites me with my brothers and sisters for whom Christ died, and I also keep myself well-versed in the raw materials with which I may actively love them in Christ.”
“Preaching the gospel to myself each day mounts a powerful assault against my pride and serves to establish humility in its place.”
“More than anything else I could ever do, the gospel enables me to embrace my tribulations and thereby position myself to gain full benefit from them.”
From Part II
“This wonderful God is the most supremely worthy Object of admiration, honor, and delight in all of the universe; And He has created me with the intention that I might glorify Him by finding my soul’s delight in Him and by living in joyful obedience to Him in all of my ways.”
From Part III
“And when I am sinning
God’s grace does abound,
Ensuring my justified
status is sound.
No wrath is awakened
in God at my sin,
Because Christ appeased it
(to say so again).
God’s heart pulses only
with passionate grace,
Which jealously wants me
back in His embrace.”
This is just a flavor of the drink you can enjoy over and over again. Buy the book in hard copy or e-book, and eat of it daily! Purchase Here